The Gehlen Orgnization
The "Gehlen Organization" which was a top level German Intelligence Service had its start on the post. This fledgling organization later went on to become the German equivalent of the CIA. The organization arrived on the post in July of 1946. (Gajdosch) It was initially housed in house Alaska, just outside the post.
General Reinhard Gehlen was the head of the intelligence section of the Fremde Heere Ost ,(Abwehr, not SS as has been indicated in some publications) which translated means Foreign Armies East, the general staff on the eastern front. General Gehlen had planned for his organizations surrender by concealing intelligence information. This information was traded to the United States in return for their still being allowed to operate despite denatizification. (Gehlen) His organization became a valuable asset in the Soviet Union for the CIA. (John Pike, FAS) The organization was based on Camp King until 1952. (Gajdosch) The post was split between the ECIC and the Gehlen organization from 1946 until 1952. (See link to FAS for more information on General Gehlen)
Although at first appearance it may seem that General Gehlen had betrayed the German people, this idea cannot be further from the truth. General Gehlen planned his surrender to the Americans once it was clear that the war was lost. He also obtained permission, once the war ended, from the last leader of the Reich, Admiral Donitz, in a prison camp, to continue with his plans. His vision was that once the new German Government was established, an intelligence agency would be needed. To this end, he had the vision that the Soviets, then an American ally, would rapidly become an enemy. His decision was to take intelligence files and nets with him when he was dismissed from his post on April 9, 1945 and use them as an enticement to the Americans to cooperate with him.
He surrendered to the Americans on May 12, 1945. Shortly after capture, August 26, 1945, he was flown to the United States, Fort Hunt, (PO Box 1142, Camp 1142 was how the camp was referred to by the Americans), Virginia, at which time negotiations with the Pentagon began. It was decided that his services could be used; therefore, he was shipped back to Germany, via a liberty ship, On July 1, 1946. Once he arrived in France, he was flown to Frankfurt via airplane and then driven to Camp King, known then as Camp Siebert. A small collection of his personnel were already working on the post in the "Blue Buildings" which were surrounded by barbed wire. The operation soon grew and the organizations headquarters was moved to Pullach, a city in Bavaria five miles south of Munich, in December 1947. In the Spring of 1949 his organization was co-opted by the CIA and the link with the US Army Intelligence diminished. (Gehlen)
In his memoirs, General Gehlen goes to great lengths to show his appreciation of General Siebert, who at the time was taking a big political risk in using his organization due to Anti-Nazi sentiment of the American people. After many set backs, General Gehlens organization became the organization he had envisioned on April 1 1956, his organization was melded with other organizations, which he headed, know as the Bundesnachrichtendienst, which translates to Federal Intelligence Service. It became attached, not subservient, to the Chancellor. He retired from service April 30, 1968. (Gehlen)
Although there may seem to be a discrepancy between the dates the "Gehlen Organization" was on the post and the dates provided above, it appears that although the headquarters moved to Pullach, a team remained on the post. I have received E-mails and other information which indicates that the organization had a presence on the post until 1952.
RETURN TO HOME PAGE NEXT
PRIOR TO WORLD WAR II1936-1939
WORLD WAR II "DULAG LUFT" 1939-1945
POST WORLD WAR II (1945-1953)
The Gehlen Organization
AMERICAN MILITARY UNITS (1953-1995)
THE FRANKFURT AMERICAN MILITARY COMMUNITY
EMPLOYMENT TELEVISION, RADIO AND THE STARS AND STRIPES NEWSPAPER
POST SECURITY, LAW ENFORCEMENT AND TERRORISM
THE PEOPLE AND CITY OF OBERURSEL
POST CLOSURE AND FUTURE