PRIOR TO WORLD WAR II
Prior to World War II military records indicate the post was an educational farm established, in 1936, under the auspices of the University of Frankfurt. Students learned gardening, bee keeping, animal husbandry as well as general farming techniques.
Picture of the city of Oberursel. The area later used as Camp King can be seen in the left corner up from and right of the factory. Picture taken prior to 1939. (Courtesy of Walter Elkins)
Charles Rollings indicates that the post initially housed The Institute of Disease and epidemic Control and the Institute of beekeeping. In 1938 Three experimental farms were added with the following tasks: 1. Improve animal breeding; 2. Improve crop growing; and, 3. Educate specialist working for the Rhine-Main Settlement Authority.
Taunus Mountain Lodge originally constructed in Frankfurt in 1938, it was designed to be utilized as a Community Center for the Model Agricultural Center (Courtesy of Franz Gajdosch taken in 1970s) According to Charles Rollings, the building was initially named the "Zeppelinheim"
The farm was designed as a model agricultural community under the Nazi regime. Some of the older buildings, the officer's club included, were assembled on the fairgrounds in Frankfurt in 1938. These buildings were later disassembled and reassembled on the post. The Officers club, which was largest of these buildings, overlooked the entire post, as it was perched on a small hill. This building was designed to be used as a clubhouse. The other buildings were models of housing for the average farmer. It is interesting that the officers club still bared the mark of the Nazi party, the swastika, on at least one of the wood beams. It was located on the first beam as you entered through the main entrance.
According to an unpublished manuscript titled "The History of Camp King" author not identified the school was especially important due to the German Army retirement system. Soldiers could retire at twelve years if they agreed to be cadre for new troops. They were paid a small monthly stipend and given a small plot of land to farm, mainly on the eastern border of Germany. For approximately 3 months out of the year the citizen soldiers would report to a caserne near their farm to train. The school educated them agricultural skills.
Entrance to the farming settlement (Picture courtesy of Franz Gajdosch, taken circa 1940)
In essence the Camp was a sign of the German prosperity and redevelopment after the depression that followed World War I.
RETURN TO HOMEPAGE NEXT PAGE
PRIOR TO WORLD WAR II1936-1939
WORLD WAR II "DULAG LUFT" 1939-1945
POST WORLD WAR II (1945-1953)
The Gehlen Organization
AMERICAN MILITARY UNITS (1953-1995)
THE FRANKFURT AMERICAN MILITARY COMMUNITY
EMPLOYMENT TELEVISION, RADIO AND THE STARS AND STRIPES NEWSPAPER
POST SECURITY, LAW ENFORCEMENT AND TERRORISM
THE PEOPLE AND CITY OF OBERURSEL
POST CLOSURE AND FUTURE