Post Closure and Future
The Burgermeister, Mayor, of Oberursel, Gerd Kraemer, stated that the official closing ceremony for Camp King was held in July of 1993; however, families still occupied the 5 housing buildings until the spring of 1995.
The post was turned over to the German government since 1995. The land is in the process of being converted to a housing area that will be named "Camp King". The housing area will house 1,200 people. It will also house two schools.
Most of the military buildings including the PX, NCO Club, movie theater, dining hall and the Bowling Alley have been demolished.
The 5 housing buildings have been renovated and are still be used for housing. The Chapel will remain a chapel.
Many of the old buildings, those originally on the post before American involvement (the old farm community), have been an issue to the developers. Many were in extremely bad condition and, therefore, slated for destruction. However, some of the them are being restored. The Taunus Mountain Lodge, the old clubhouse, later Officers Club, is slated to become a hotel.
Depicted above are the Headquarters Building on the right and the Bowling Alley on the left. (Courtesy of Franz Gajdosch, Taken May of 2000)
Camp King during renovations taken from the public affairs building. At right is the multi-purpose field and housing in back round. At left is where the Dinning Hall and Movie Theater were located. (Picture taken May 2000, by Franz Gajdosch)
The Housing Buildings during Renovation (Courtesy of Franz Gajdosch, taken May 2000)
New constructions in progress buildings 1047-1049 in background. (Courtesy of Ricky Andresen taken in August of 2000)
The People of Oberursel have honored the American legacy by naming streets after famous American people. For example "Elvis Presely Strasse."
An interesting note, when demolition was being done the workers were excavating under the NCO Club area they found a part of a Celtic Wall. The area became an archeological dig site. (Gajdosch)
Construction on the post is progressing rapidly. Many town homes as well as other housing units have been built. A department store has also been added and Camp King is self sustaining. Many families have moved into the area. The older homes are now being sold for restoration.
Camp King is once again becoming to others what it was to me a great place to live and raise a family.
Click here for pictures taken in November of 2002: PICTURES NOVEMBER 2002
RETURN TO HOMEPAGE NEXT PAGE
PRIOR TO WORLD WAR II1936-1939
WORLD WAR II "DULAG LUFT" 1939-1945
POST WORLD WAR II (1945-1953)
The Gehlen Organization
AMERICAN MILITARY UNITS (1953-1995)
THE FRANKFURT AMERICAN MILITARY COMMUNITY
EMPLOYMENT TELEVISION, RADIO AND THE STARS AND STRIPES NEWSPAPER
POST SECURITY, LAW ENFORCEMENT AND TERRORISM
THE PEOPLE AND CITY OF OBERURSEL
POST CLOSURE AND FUTURE